Miasto Stoleczne Warszawa

Dziesiątki miejsc na poranne spacery

A nursery for children with autism is open

published: 2019-01-31 09:01, mlan
A nursery for children with autism is open. fot. A nursery for children with autism is open.

The new nursery at 4 Tarchomińska St. is available to children with autism spectrum disorder. Rafał Trzaskowski, Mayor of Warsaw, visited the children, their parents and teachers.


Early diagnosis and support are an opportunity for an independent life. The new nursery is a response to the needs which were expressed in recent years. We know that the number of children diagnosed with autism is growing in educational institutions. This results from improved diagnostics and awareness of parents, teachers and other persons present in children’s surroundings,” said Rafał Trzaskowski, Mayor of Warsaw, during the meeting. “Schools and nurseries are facing numerous challenges, I am glad that it is yet another friendly place, where the staff and the children accept everyone,” added the Mayor.
 
The new special-needs nursery was built on site of the School and Nursery Complex No. 10. It has housed a special-needs primary school for a dozen or so years, which has also undergone an extensive upgrade. 51 pupils have attended the school since September 2018. In addition to the replacement of all installations and thermal upgrade, we had the interior premises redeveloped and a new gym built.

The nursery houses 8 classrooms and rooms for remedial classes (speech therapy, sensory integration, music therapy). Inside, there is a patio with benches and a water spring which serves relaxation and therapeutic functions. 19 children, aged 3 to 8, currently attend the nursery. The enrolment procedure is now open as our goal is to admit 32 children in 8 groups. The total cost of the school’s upgrade and the construction of the nursery was over PLN 10 million.

Educating children and teenagers with autism
The number of children and teenagers with autism in (public and non-public) schools and nurseries is growing. The number of children with diagnosed autism has doubled since 2015. There were 2860 preschool children and students with autism in the 2015/2016 school year (2016/2017 – 3615, 2017/2018 – 4421). The number increased to 5783 children (3967 children with autism, and 1816 children with multiple disabilities, one of them being autism).
3967 students with autism currently attend schools (including 722 children with multiple disabilities). 1816 children with autism currently attend nurseries (including 85 children with multiple disabilities).
96 percent of children and teenagers with autism (with normal intellectual ability) attend regular or integrated classes, while the remaining 4 percent attend special-needs schools.
 
Zofia and Jan in the lead